Finding My Voice

Exactly what it says. The girl who has proclaimed "I can't write!" on a weekly basis is ... well ... writing.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

If I told you you had a nice aura ...

... would you hold it against me?

OK, no one really said that, but a strange woman in Norm's late one evening did say my aura was very bright.

And honestly? I was having such a fantastic weekend, that I imagine it WAS, indeed, all aglow.

But I'm starting in the middle of the story.

It's Friday night, and we decide to do a double-header at Sacred Fools - the mainstage La Bete (because it sounded interesting and he needed another Ovation show) and the late night Bukowsical (because Kathi's in it and we'd been promising her for months that we'd go). La Bete was really quite good - there were some things I didn't love about it, but I thought both the acting and direction were phenomenal, and I'd rank that as my all-time 2nd favorite show by the Fools. After the show, we go outside to wait to come back in for the late night show, and suddenly we see our dear friend Mary Elizabeth - who we hadn't seen in over a year - and had just emailed us that day with her new email address, after having not been in touch for quite some time! We had no idea we both chose that night to see Kathi! It was so wonderful to see her ... and while we're catching up, and basking in our delight at running into one another ... up walks Bill, who says oddly enough, he only just read my last blog post about running into fellow theatre people randomly at the theatre! He too was there for Kathi ... we formed our own little cheering section. It made an otherwise fun evening that much more fun.

Now on to Saturday.

To begin with, I had a wedding to go to the next day. And I truly had nothing to wear. This is not just something women say; there was honest-to-God nothing in my closet that fit me. I have my skinny dresses, which I'm still a ways from getting over my hips, and my fat dress from last fall, which is now too big. If need be, I could pin the big dress, but I thought, heck, I'll go on over to Ross and see if I can find something for cheap. An interim dress.

Well imagine my surprise when none of the first round of dresses I brought into the dressing room fit because - at size 6 - they were TOO BIG.

"I must be some in-between size," I grumbled, as I picked up some size 4's, waiting to be sorely disappointed.

Imagine my surprise and delight when I was able to purchase a lovely new dress for around $15 (I love that store) ... and it was a size 4.

I bought a size 4.

Woo hoo! Happy dance!

That evening, Dick and I had committed to doing box office at Ark. And there was this older couple who came to the show - repeat customers - who were just so taken with our company in general. They totally got who we are and what we're trying to do, and were waxing poetic about how wonderful it was. Sometimes you bust your ass doing the work to create something, and you're not ever sure anybody cares. And then, suddenly, you're gifted with ... appreciation. And you know that what you're doing has some meaning to someone.

I don't think we've seen the last of them.

On to Sunday, and the wedding and the size 4 dress (yay!). Well, the real story here, is that without thinking, I had agreed to have Dick commit us to doing a screenplay reading for a celeb friend (who I won't name-drop and, well, name), totally forgetting that the wedding was the same day. D'oh! So the wedding was at 5p and the reading we pushed back to 8:30. Of course, the wedding was in Long Beach and the reading at the theatre ... but I kept thinking, we won't get to stay terribly long, but long enough.

Of course, I wasn't banking on it being a sit down dinner rather than buffet. Since they were taking their time through the courses ... well, we made it through bread and salad. Sigh. We had to leave.

We do the reading - almost entirely Ark talent, or at least friends of ours - and he (the friend) was thrilled. Not only that it was read well, and gave him a lot to work on, but because a group of actors, most of whom didn't know him from Adam (well, not personally), were perfectly willing to give up a few hours on a Sunday night of a holiday weekend to read his screenplay ... just because. He said some jaw-droppingly complimentary things to us, individually and as a whole.

It was enough to ride high on through the night, as Dick and I went to get some dinner, finally, around 11pm. We figured Norm's was open, so what the heck. Not high quality, but it's there. But the vibe in the place was just ... weird. Between the zillions of open tables that they refused to seat anyone at, and the complete ignoring of the actual sign-in list, and the really really bizarre clientele, we finally just walked out. But before we did, while Dick was in the restroom, this woman looks over at me and compliments my dress. I've barely gotten out "thank you," when she tells me how bright my aura is, and can she do a reading for me?

"No," I said politely, "but thank you!"

On to Canter's for what was arguably one of the best burgers in the city (I had no idea they did fabulous burgers - I go to Canter's, I usually get corned beef or something!), and the people-watching. The folks next to us were desperately trying to order off the menu. Gotta love that. They were really in the mood for Greek food, apparently. (So they went to the Jewish deli?)

And just enjoyed the evening. And the burger. And my husband. And the glow of compliments and the feeling that maybe, just maybe, we were doing something right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home