Finding My Voice

Exactly what it says. The girl who has proclaimed "I can't write!" on a weekly basis is ... well ... writing.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Figure Skating Pt 1

Figure Skating.
I'm a huge fan. That's an understatement. It probably started with the Olympics back in the 80s', really solidifying with my being able to identify and root for skaters at the '92 Olympics. And in '94 who wasn't paying attention to Tanya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan? Then I started watching the US Championships and any other event I could catch on TV ... and then I got to see a few live performances. And I gotta tell you, sometimes there are skaters who I watch on TV, and never really "get" why they're so popular or award-winning ... and then you see them on stage, as it were, in a room where you can literally feel the energy ... and suddenly you just go "oh." Ding. Lightbulb moment. Tara Lipinski was one (though I *still* do this day think if Michelle Kwan had skated last eight years ago, she'd have that gold medal). Todd Eldridge was another.
Anyway. I've rubbed off on my poor husband, who is hardly the fan I am, but can identify skaters if not by actual name at least either by country or some other identifier. Cute little Katy Taylor of Texas he refers to as "the girl who wants the pink hummer." (It's accurate, but funny.)
Drama leading up to the Olympics. Michelle Kwan's injury caused her to miss the Nationals; she petitioned to go anyway. I think that was the right thing to do (there is certainly precedent for it), and I was extraordinarily impressed with the graciousness with which the rest of the ladies handled it. Especially Emily Hughes, who was the skater getting bumped. But one after they other, they all said that Michelle's long history had earned her the spot, and that they fully supported it. Beautiful.
Then a little drama at the Olympics as Michelle realized her injury just wasn't healed enough ... and she withdrew. The whole thing, again, so incredibly classy. Interesting, as I remember a ladies figure skater (I think it was Kristi Yamaguchi, though I can't swear to that) once saying that the competitions were so fierce and nasty that you'd never actually dare to leave your skates unattended. Sabotage. Seriously. So I was very impressed with the graciousness of everyone involved.
Less classy - the ice dancers whose families were writing letters to their senators to attempt to PREVENT Tanith Belbin's expedited citizenship. So tacky. For those who don't know, at the time that Tanith first applied for citizenship, the process took a certain number of years - I think eight? Since that point, they number of years for the waiting period has been reduced by several years. So that realistically, had she *waited* a few years to apply - she'd already be a citizen! So it was on that basis that she was trying to get it moved up. Talk about missing the big picture: the better Belbin & Agosto do, the better for the entire US ice dance team. Geez. Luckily, she got her citizenship, and the US got their first silver in ice dance. But I'm getting ahead of myself. :)
So. The Olympics. One of the things I love about the Olympics being on NBC is that we get the commentary of Scotty Hamilton. While I admit that Dick Button has certainly grown on me over the years, I just love love love Scotty's energy, attitude, and sometimes very quotable comments.
This year they started a little daily show on USA called "Olympic Ice", hosted by Mary Carillo (NBC tennis expert, I'm told), with Canadian gold medal pairs skaters Jamie Sale and David Pelletier. Appearances by Scotty and Dick as well as many others. At first, I was deeply disturbed by the fact that this program was being hosted by a woman who clearly DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FIGURE SKATING! Plus the whole thing ultimately felt a little corny. But after a few days, the program found its legs, Mary's dry sense of humor is just my speed, and the whole show stopped taking itself seriously and embraced its wacky side and ... well ... I'm a huge fan. From the segment known as "push Dick's button" to referring to the show by its initials "O.I." which evolved into "Oy!" ... well, it was just "cracklin' good television." Seriously. I hope it's back in four years. Or sooner.
Oh, and seriously, if you ever catch David Pelletier making a bet on who's taking a medal in a figure skating event? Go put money on it. He called both Jeffrey Buttle AND Shizuka Arakawa.
More later.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger ~d said…

    i read yr blog earlier, and the only thing that stuck with me was some girl and a pink hummer, so I came back to re-read it, and click on her link thingy...hahaha
    How are you???
    Sounds like you have a show opening? What do you DO in the show?
    XOXO

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger ~d said…

    OK, now after what Hal said abt you in his comment section: What is it you DO out there? do I know someone famous and I am not even aware of it???
    Muchas Loveas!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home