Finding My Voice

Exactly what it says. The girl who has proclaimed "I can't write!" on a weekly basis is ... well ... writing.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

More thoughts on the south

I'm really excited about the project I'm working on right now.

This isn't intended to be a plug, but since we're on the subject I'll tell you that it's HAZARD COUNTY by Allison Moore, for Ark, and we open March 8. And Dick is directing. :)

OK, got that out of the way.

I first heard about this play from a cyber-pal on a group called The Actors List. She was doing either a reading or a production (I can't remember) in Alabama, where she's from and still lives. I admit, it was the DUKES OF HAZZARD reference that really caught my eye, but she mentioned that it was full of powerful themes that, as a native Southerner, really spoke to her.

I've been wanting to work on a piece that really spoke to me for some time now. Not that I haven't enjoyed the work I've done, but I really wanted something with some depth. Substance over style.

This play is all about the South ... how the rest of the country views it, how it views itself. Racism and the confederate flag. The fine line between journalism and reality television. And it's all framed by monologues about THE DUKES OF HAZZARD.

It's not a perfect play - few are - but I like to think this will be one that really stays with people as they exit the theatre.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home