Finding My Voice

Exactly what it says. The girl who has proclaimed "I can't write!" on a weekly basis is ... well ... writing.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

and then ....

It was the end of a crazed, hectic week. I had made the choice to fly out on a Saturday night during Mardi Gras, so a) no one could take me to the airport and b) traffic would suck. So I made sure to order the cab super-early so traffic wouldn't be an issue. End result? Cab 10 minutes late, and I'm still checked in and at my gate a full two hours before my flight.


I was a little thrown when my gate only referenced a flight that had left hours ago, rather than my flight leaving in two hours - but heck, I'd checked in fine, and I chalked it up to being so freaking early.



I pull out my laptop and get onto the internet, and someone stops by and asks if this is, indeed, the right gate for Los Angeles. I told her I sure hoped it was, and continued on to United's web site. Maybe there had been a gate change, and I'd have had no way of knowing.

Nope. Still the right gate, flight now about 20 minutes late, but otherwise fine. So I head on over to Blogger and type the entry below. I'm figuring on settling in for a good hour and a half.

I typed exactly that much when a United representative announced that our flight was canceled, and to please line up at the gate for assistance.

Aargh! That's never happened to me before, not ever. Suddenly I went from lounging about for 90 minutes to getting reassigned to a Continental flight (no more direct flight, sigh) which actually leaves 30 minutes EARLIER than the flight I was supposed to be on. Had to go back out, re-check in for a boarding pass, and GO THROUGH SECURITY AGAIN. Having to throw away the bottle of water I'd just purchased, appropriately, within the airport secure walls ... and of course, getting "flagged" for security since it was a last-minute airline change. So I ended up at the gate just in time to board and oh yeah, call home because my arrival time was so drastically changing!

It was an adventure.

Amazingly, my luggage arrived. I was so sure it wouldn't possibly.


But here I am, two weeks later, sitting on the sofa half-watching tv with my husband and my dog all snuggled up to me (so much that I can barely type). Although it's an improvement over yesterday, when he was so determined to help me with my email that he managed to hit the combination of keys that rotates the screen by 90 degrees. That's one talented doggie.

Regarding my father, I still don't know a whole lot. I should know a little more this coming week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home