Finding My Voice

Exactly what it says. The girl who has proclaimed "I can't write!" on a weekly basis is ... well ... writing.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A good audition ...

I mean, a SERIOUSLY kick-ass audition, almost - almost - makes the job itself irrelevant.

When I first moved to LA, I was really into auditioning. Just the experience of each audition. Preparation, and execution, and learning as I go. I soaked it all up like a sponge.

Then for a while I embraced the "consider each audition your performance" concept (which I still like, a lot). (As a side note, I was discussing this with friends once, and the dancer in the group said, "Oh yeah, I like to think of each audition as a free dance class.")

And then I got tired. And jaded. And frustrated.

And I took time "off" for a while. Time spent planning the wedding. Then having the wedding. Honeymoon. Hometown disaster. Oh, and that pesky weight problem.

Finally, I'm ready ... slowly ... to dip a toe back into the waters.

So it's nice, really early back into this process, to really feel so GOOD about one. It's really nice to make everyone in the room laugh - repeatedly - and even the second time around. It's really nice to be told how funny you are, point blank, by the director. It's really nice to be told, "I'm looking for these three things, and you NAILED the first two, so let's try it again and get that third one too."

It felt good to remember ... that yeah. I CAN do this.

The odds of my getting cast are astronomical. And I'm OK with that. Because in this cae, I know that I did my best. And that's all I can do. The rest is up to them.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's awesome!! That's all we can strive for, and it's one of the best feelings out there! Yay! I'm happy for you. And I hope you get cast too. :)

    -Patty

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Lipp said…

    Glad your toe is wet & the audition rocked!

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Blogger Hal said…

    Belated congratulations! This whole thing really is like riding a bike, isn't it?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home