Finding My Voice

Exactly what it says. The girl who has proclaimed "I can't write!" on a weekly basis is ... well ... writing.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Anybody watching TV?

Any thoughts on the new fall shows?

As a TV junkie with TiVo, I feel it is my duty to watch every new show at least once. Almost every new show. TiVo can only record two shows in the same time slot, so ... there are limits. :)

So far, the only thing I jaw-droppingly LOVE is STUDIO 60. As a huge Sorkin fan (recently re-watching the entirety of SPORTS NIGHT on DVD), I had certain expectations. And then of course concerns that my expectations were too high. But I thought it totally delivered. And the cast is, or course, brilliant.

I like STANDOFF. More than I thought I would, actually. Dick's the one who voted for a second episode, as I was kinda unsure. But I am into it; I think the leads are very likable, and the writing pretty good. And I think Gina Torres is effing brilliant at everything she does. In fact, she's the reason I tuned in to begin with.

Unfortunately, it's up in the same time slot where we already watch THE UNIT and VERONICA MARS. So I can only hope that one of them eventually moves. But in the meantime, it'll be our original two watched weekly, and catch STANDOFF whenever one of the others is off or in reruns.

I also like JUSTICE. Yeah, it's yet another law show, but it has a slightly different hook. Two, really. One is that you'll see exactly what DID happen at the end of each show; and the other, the tie-in to the tabloid court-tv style show. And really, Katherine LaNasa could run away with the show, and she's not even a series reg. Victor Garber is, as always, wonderful.

I like MEN IN TREES. I watch this one solo - mostly because Dick's trying to limit his TV addiction more than I do, not because he has an aversion to chick shows. ;) Is it stealing liberally from NORTHERN EXPOSURE? Sure. Am I hooked into it anyway? You betcha.

I passed on SMITH, TIL DEATH and HAPPY HOUR after one episode. In SMITH I just couldn't see why I should care about any of the major players, except the wife. TIL DEATH was by-the-book formulaic (yawn) and HAPPY HOUR, while not the ODD COUPLE rip-off I thought it was going to be based on the description, still didn't do anything for me. I did like the sidekick friend, as played by Beth Lacke, but it wasn't enough to make me tune back in.

I couldn't even get through an entire episode of VANISHED, KIDNAPPED, or THE CLASS. 'Nuff said on those.

Looking forward to the continuation of the season!

5 Comments:

  • At 1:14 AM, Blogger Bonnie said…

    Love love LOVE Studio 60. Seriously. I wanted to go back and watch it again. And again. AWESOME show. Very happy.

    Also like strongly SHARK. Still have a few to watch before deciding. Also have a bunch I hate already, similar to yours. (Good LORD what was THE CLASS supposed to be?????)

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Studio 60 was very good. I confess to being dubious of it since, on the surface, it appears to be a rehash of "Sport's Night" which I loved. I figured they might as well just do "Sport's Night". Happily, it was very different but maintained the same quality. This is probably the ONLY new show I will watch.

    For returning shows, I have very few addictions. "Veronica Mars" first and foremost. I tuned in for the cute blond and got completely hooked on the story and the characters. The only other must see for me is a guilty pleasure: "How I Met Your Mother". I just find the whole show charming and touching as well as very funny. Who doesn't want a Barney in there life?

    Dan Kozisek

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger Tracy said…

    Bon -
    I liked SHARK too - but except for STUDIO 60, I figured I'd wait at least two episodes before offering commentary. ;)

    Dan - Obviously I share your love of VERONICA MARS. I hadn't watched the first season - thinking it was kind of a "youth" show - but after watching for a friend who's on it, got totally hooked. And I love HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, too!

     
  • At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I miss TV!

    Michelle and I have bunny ears, and we don't even put them to good use. I haven't watched TV in months! Finally at work today, I got to watch some, since they have satellite. What did I watch? Looney Tunes, and The Daily Show. Almost one in the same.

    I hear Studio 60 is good. And I'm surprised Veronica Mars is still on, I never thought it would last. Of course, I've never watched it either....

    And I'm bitter that I won't be seeing Desperate Housewives and Lost, either it's a show I'm in, or I gotta work. I need TiVo dammit.
    -Patty

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love Studio 60 and I loved the first episode of " The Nine" and I am watching " Men in Trees" by myself too:).

    I have seen most of the new shows. My favorite is still "Lost" even though it pisses me off more than I'd like.

    I started watching "House" and I think it's a solid show.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home