Finding My Voice

Exactly what it says. The girl who has proclaimed "I can't write!" on a weekly basis is ... well ... writing.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Another day, another diet

Yeah, I know. Part two of San Francisco. I suck.

But I'm going to interrupt the flow of that story with this.

I'm doing an actual structured diet. Which I've certainly done in the past - somewhat structured - but after years of practice and failure, I've learned what works for my body and what doesn't. Armed with that knowledge, and the determination to actually DO it this time (my, I feel like a Nike ad) ... well, I feel pretty good about it.

Now. For people like my mother-in-law who thinks I don't need to lose weight ... or who are concerned that I'm being unduly influenced by Hollywood size 0's ...

The "healthy" weight for my height has a pretty wide range. I'm currently in the middle of it. At the wedding I was at the high end of it. But through most of my 20s I was at the low end of it and I see no reason not to get back there.

It's incredibly easy and it's really hard, all at the same time. Actually changing the way I eat has been remarkably easy. I'm kind of stunned, frankly. The hard part has been the work it takes - which is part of the reason I often get lulled into gaining weight in the first place. Inherent laziness. Ha ha. No, often it's just a genuine lack of time.

But I'm learning. And I'm actually changing my habits. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! (woof!)

Now, here's a tip for anyone starting a major diet program. Don't establish a starting weight a full week before you start the diet. Especially when, during that week, you're out of town (hello, SF!) and choosing every meal with the thought "enjoy! next week, the diet!". Because then, after the first actual week on the plan, you may well end up having gained a pound from that starting weight. Oops.

But the good news ... week two was a loss of 2.2 pounds. (I'll spare the actual weight, lest I sound like Bridget Jones).

And no, I haven't mentioned which diet I'm on. And I won't for a bit. A few people know, so it's not like a *secret* ... but I feel like I want to give it another week or two before I share.

But my size 4 clothes are hanging in my closet, just waiting to make a comeback. :)

1 Comments:

  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Lipp said…

    Congrats on keeping it going & feeling good!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home